What is Vein Therapy?
♥The CoolGlide system safely and effectively delivers pulses of light energy to remove a wide range of veins by causing the vein to gently heat up, shrink, and disappear over time.
Keep in mind that laser treatments tends to dry the skin out a bit and also make the skin slightly more sensitive to UV rays. For this reason, please make sure to follow the guidelines listed below:
- Do not take aspirin or vitamin E for at least one week prior to the procedure and for 2-3 weeks after the procedure. These substances will increase the chance of bruising at the treatment site and will interfere with proper healing.
- For your next treatment, make sure you do not schedule the treatment either right before or during your menstrual cycle. You are at your most sensitive during this time and will experience more discomfort.
- No traveling right after the treatment.
- ALWAYS use sun block! Even on a rainy, cloudy day, UV rays still come through the cloud layer.
- Use a high quality moisturizer
- It is very important to avoid exposing the treated area to sunshine outdoors for first 4 days.
The best thing to do after a treatment is to use common sense and baby the skin a little. There are several things you should avoid immediately after a laser treatment. There are:
- Do not swim in chlorinated pools or hot tubs for 2 days (the day of treatment and the day after) following the procedure.
- Do not use any masks at home for one week.
- Do not get any professional facials for 14 days.
- Do not use abrasive or exfoliating cleansers for 14 days.
- Do not expose the treated area to extremes of sun exposure (for example, several hours on the beach without a hat) for 4 days.
- Do not use fading or bleaching agents for 14 days.
- Do not use any products containing alpha or beta hydroxyl acids, lactic acid, retinoids, glycolic acid, or vitamin C for 14 days.
♥ Are these vein treatments permanent?
ost patients achieve a significant reduction in the appearance of their veins. Factors such as long periods of standing, age, and genetics contribute to new veins. Consider once yearly treatments to "clean up" any new veins that appear.
♥ What can I expect from this treatment?
Most patients return to their regular routines quickly with virtually no after-care required. If there is redness around the treated area this usually goes away in a few days. Vascular treatments have immediate results which are wonderful to see, especially in patients who have been bothered by an unsightly vein or capillary. When larger veins are treated, a tan or brownish pigment may persist for a few weeks or months following treatment. Keep in mind, though, that some of these vessels may refill, requiring another treatment before it disappears permanently. Commonly, treated vessels tend to develop a dried, scab like appearance. This is normal. Make sure to apply triple antibiotic ointment (such as Neosporin) to the area to keep it moist. If the scabs open up, or if they increase in size, make sure to call our office immediately at (626)289-9149. We care about our patients and want them to know that we are here for them when problems arise. If you had cherry hemangiomas treated (small, round red bumps that look like red moles), these will turn brown and develop a small scab. Do not pick at the scab! Keep the area moist with triple antibiotic ointment for about a week. After a couple of weeks, the scab will fall off and a white mark will remain. This white mark will fade over a period of several months, eventually disappearing.
♥ When will I see results?
Most patients show significant improvement, with the veins, blotches and/or blemishes disappearing within 2-6 weeks of treatment. However, many leg veins need multiple treatments, often over a few months before achieving optimal results. Typically, 3-4 sessions are needed. New veins may appear with time, but these too can be removed with the CoolGlide.
♥ What are some common side effects?
You may notice that some spots which have been treated with the laser may appear darker immediately after the treatment. This is normal and indicates that the pigment will easily slough off in several days. You may also notice some redness and swelling, which should subside about few days after the treatment. Make sure to use the ice the aestheticians may have given you. You may use concealer over the treated area until the pigment flakes off. Some spots will not darken after treatment but will show signs of lightening about a week after treatment.