What is IPL/Limelight ?
♥ IPL, also known as Photo Facial or Photo rejuvenation, is a powerful skin rejuvenation treatment. It works by emitting intense pulsed light, which penetrates the superficial layers of the skin in order to treat signs of skin aging. Among these signs of aging are brown pigment, such as freckles and age spots, fine lines, red blemishes, broken blood vessels, enlarged pores, rough skin, loss of skin tone and elasticity, and sun damage. Virtually any part of your body can be safely treated. The Limelight is the first 3 in 1 Programmable IPL that can be tailored to treat brown pigment, redness, or both. Each of the Limelight’s pre-set modes shift the wavelengths, pulse widths, and cooling to optimize results. It is also a safe treatment of all skin types, even darker ones.
You may notice that some spots which have been treated with the Fraxel Dual machine may appear darker immediately after the treatment. This is normal and indicates that the pigment will easily slough off in several days. You may also notice some redness and swelling, which should subside about a few days after the treatment. Make sure to use the ice the aestheticians may have given you. You may use concealer over the treated area until the pigment flakes off. Some spots will not darken after treatment but will show signs of lightening about a week after treatment.
Keep in mind that laser treatments tend to dry the skin and make it slightly more sensitive to UV rays. For this reason, please make sure to follow the guidelines listed below:
- No traveling right after the treatment.
- Avoid exposing the treated the areas to direct sunshine outdoors for the first 4 days.
- ALWAYS use sunblock! Even on a rainy, cloudy day, UV rays can still penetrate the clouds.
- Use a high-quality moisturizer
The best thing to do after a treatment is to use common sense and baby the skin a little. There are several things you should avoid immediately after an IPL treatment. There are:
- Do not swim in chlorinated pools or hot tubs for 2 days (the day of treatment and the day after) following the procedure.
- Do not use any masks at home for one week.
- Do not get any professional facials done for 14 days
- Do not use abrasive or exfoliating cleansers for 14 days.
- Do not expose the treated area to extreme sun exposure (for example, several hours on the beach without a hat) for 4 days.
- Do not use fading or bleaching agents for 14 days.
- Do not use any products containing alpha or beta hydroxy acids, lactic acid, retinoids, glycolic acid, or vitamin C for 14 days.
♥How long will the treatment take?
The actual treatment will only take 15 - 30 minutes. And, since there is no need to apply gel or any topical anesthetic, your total appointment time can easily fit within your lunch hour.
♥When will I see results?
Many patients see significant improvement within 2-3 weeks of treatment. However, your final result may not be apparent until the end of the series. You will see gradual improvement with each session. 4-6 treatments are recommended, spaced about 3-4 weeks apart.