What is Nail Fungus？
♥ Laser light from GenesisPlus passes through the nail and the surrounding tissue. The laser light is absorbed by pigment in the fungi, which causes the pigment to heat, killing or damaging the fungal organism. This can result in your nail growing normally.
♥Before your treatment:
- Remove nail polish
- Ensure nails are trimmed and clean thoroughly with a nail brush
- Spray all shoes with any-fungal spray or disinfectant (Lysol). Continue weekly for at least 4 weeks.
- Do not apply topical or antifungal cream or powder for 2 days prior to treatment
♥After your treatment:
To help prevent re-infection:
- Wear clean socks/shoes after treatment
- Wash sheets, disinfect shower/bath and vacuum carpets day of treatment
- Apply anti-fungal cream or spray to the entire sole of the foot, in between and on top of every toe twice a day for approximately 2 weeks (severe athlete’s foot infections may require longer)
- Apply antifungal powder or spray to all shoes at least once a week for at least 4 weeks
- Do not walk barefoot in public places (pool, gym, etc.)
- Keep nails trimmed and cleaned (disinfect instruments after each use)
- Nail polish may be applied 24 hours after treatment
- Toenails may take 9-12 months and fingernails may take 6-9 months to grow out. Severely infected nails may take longer
♥What does the procedure feel like?
The doctor will direct the laser at the infected nails several times to ensure maximum effectiveness. During the procedure, you will experience mild warmth on the surface of the toe with a small hot pinch at the end that resolves quickly. Pain medication is not required and most patients find the procedure comfortable.